People are always astonished that my son is a vegetarian. Astonished and worried. I have one Portuguese friend who adores Evan and she even insisted I get blood work done to prove that he is healthy. I did and he is.
Even so, SO often people communicate their worry about his protein intake. You need not.
This is an example of a salad that is loaded with protein. It is also a salad that is so freaking delicious that there is no way you will miss the meat on your plate.
- 2 cups canned black beans, rinsed
- 1 cup of onions
- 1.5 cups kernal canned corn
- 1.5 cups tomato (we sometimes add the tomatoes after as it´s the one fruit Nuno does not like)
- 1 avocado (soft, but not brown on the inside)
- 4 Tbls cilantro, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chili pepper (we do not add this)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- .5 tsp Ground Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- dash cayenne
- 3 Tbls lime
- 2 Tbls olive oil
- Mix up the salad. Mix Dressing and add to salad and toss. Refrigerate for at least an hour. Toss before serving. Enjoy!
- The Comjacks are friends who stayed with us. They more then paid us back for their stay by simply sharing this salad recipe. Thank you Aaron!